Join us on Saturday, November 3rd for the first annual Arbor Day Honolulu Festival at Foster Botanical Garden!
Arbor Day Honolulu Festival will not only be a site to pick up a free tree for Arbor Day Hawai’i, but a community celebration of all things trees!
Foster Botanical Garden will open to the public at 9:00 AM. At arrival, attendees will check in to receive a pick up number and wait to be called in groups to receive their free tree (limited to one tree per family, while supplies last).
Attendees will have access to educational booths, fun activities, workshops, vendors, and live performances as they wait for their tree.
~ Tree Giveaway
~ Tree Care Tips
~ “Ask the Arborist”
~ Activities & Workshops
~ Educational Booths
~ Keiki Art Projects
~ Guest Speakers
~ Performances & More!
Fun and engaging for all ages!!!
Attendance to the tree giveaway includes free admission to Foster Botanical Garden, a beautiful 14-acre urban forest sanctuary in the midst of downtown Honolulu. Arborists and volunteers will be on hand at each site with information on the best growing environment and tree care practices for each tree.
Sign up for these Arbor Day workshops today!
- Come experience a free introduction to forest bathing with Phyllis Look, owner of Forest Bathing Hawai’i, and Hawai’i’s first and only certified forest therapy guide. You’ll get some background on this evidence-based wellness practice inspired by the Japanese “shinrin-yoku,” then you’ll be invited to try one of the nature connection activities in a section of the Foster Botanical gardens. Your brief taste of forest bathing will end with a sample of a forest tea made from one of Hawai’i’s endemic healing plants. Reservation required on this registration page, limited to 20 people per session, ages 10 and above.
- Session 1: 9:15 – 10 a.m. (20 free spots available, must register)
- Session 2: 10:30 – 11:15 a.m.(20 free spots available, must register)
Foster Botanical Garden presents: Free Guided Tours
- Tours led by docents are offered every day at 10:30 a.m. Please call 808-768-7135 to reserve your spot.
Nā Mea Hawai’i & Keanahala present: Lau Hala Weaving
- Come sit and prepare lauhala for weaving with Aunty Lorna and friends! Participate in the process of cleaning, stripping, softening lauhala and then weaving, under the trees for Arbor Day Hawai’i.
Alyssa Dub presents: “Grow Your Roots” – Introductory Yoga Session
- Alyssa loves anything mother earth, drawing inspiration from the ocean, mountains, mud, snow, sand and flowers. Alyssa discovered Forrest Yoga after a crippling back injury in 2015, causing her to need a discectomy surgery on her lumbar spine. The fiercely physical practice of Forrest Yoga helped her use her entire being to generate healing in her back; in a kind and strong way. This new awareness strengthened her trust in intuition and carried her to a more elevated life path. Alyssa uses yoga to fulfill her purpose in the world: to create healing in as many humans as possible!
- Sign up today! Bring your own towel or mat. Props will be provided.
Big mahalo to our event partner #ThePurpleRoom who will be donating their solar powered sound system in support of #ArborDayHawaii! The Purple Room is a collective of DJs, dancers, artists, engineers, and performers working together to create sustainable events and spread awareness of alternative energies and eco-friendly lifestyles. You can come check it out this Saturday! To learn more about them, visit their website at https://www.purpleroomhi.com/
Let us know you are coming!
One plant per family, while supplies last:
- Fruit Trees / Edible Plants:
- Cacao, Theobroma cacao
- Calamondin, Citrofortunella microcarpa
- Fig tree, Ficus carica ‘White Kadota’
- Lemon drop mangosteen, Garcinia intermedia
- Meyer lemon, Citrus x meyeri ‘Meyer’
- Miracle berry, Synsepalum dulcificum
- Tahitian lime, Citrus latifolia
- Kou, true kou, Cordia subcordata, Ind.
- Ilima Kula, Sida fallax, Ind.
- Nānū, na’u, Gardenia brighamii, End.
- Koki’o ke’oke’o, Hibiscus arnottianus, End.
- Mao hau hele, Hibiscus brackenridgei, End.
- Other Trees/Plants:
- Plumeria, bridal bouquet, Plumeria pudica
- Tiare, Gardenia taitensis
- Gardenia Aimee Yoshioka
We are actively seeking community groups, businesses and organizations that would like to get more involved with Arbor Day!